Elwood Pipecreek Genealogy Society

Preserving the Past for Our Future ......

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Grateful for any help

Stephen Gray

I have started tracing my wife's family and one of her ancestors (Samuel Baker) emigrated from South Wales in 1895 and lived in Elwood. In the 1940 Census he was living at 801 South 18 Street with his wife (Mary) and two daughters (Elizabeth and Lillian). Also, I think that one of his sons (Howard) died at 46036 Elwood. I don't know if there is any other information out there to suggest when Samuel and Mary died.

Regards, Stephen

December 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

genealogysocietyelwoodindiana
Site Owner

Mary BAKER--born: 1863  died: 1946

Samuel BAKER--born: 1858  died: Nov 6, 1940

Both buried in Elwood City Cemetery--R28--Addition VI (6)

I did not fine anything on a Howard BAKER in Elwood

OBITUARY FOR SAMUEL BAKER:

Elwood Call Leader Newspaper--Wednesday, Nov. 6, 1940

Samuel BAKER, 82, Dies Early Today

Expires after illness of year's time

Samuel Baker, 82, residing at 801 South 18th Street, died at 7:30 o'clock this morning at the Methodists hospital in Indianapolis, Indiana, following a year's illness. Mr. Baker was removed to the hospital ten days ago, and he submitted to a major operation last Monday.

The son of Joseph and Elizabeth Baker, the deceased was born on September 21, 1858, in Staffordshire, England. He came to the United States in 1894 and applied immediately for his citizenship papers. In 1896 he came to Elwood where he worked for many years in the tin plate. He was retired by the firm seventeen years ago.

He was married to Mary Davies, on June 11, 1887, in Wales, and the couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary three years ago. He was a lifetime member of the First Baptist Church.

Surviving with the widow are three daughters: Mrs. William Walters, of Muncie, and Misses Elizabeth and Lillian Baker, at home; three sons: Dr. F. C. Baker, of Hammond, Joseph Baker of Middletown, and Howard Baker of Gary; five grandchildren, one brother, Elija Baker of Wales, and several neices and nephews.

Funeral services will be conducted at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the First Baptist Chruch, with the pastor, Rev. Robert W. Sage in charge. Burial will be made in the city cemetery.

The body will be removed to the residence Thursday afternoon where it will lay in state.

Mary and Lillian and Elizabeth continued to live at the 801 South 18th streer address until 1945 (this is the last city directory I could find them in)

Lillian and Elizabeth both worked for Sellers and sons Company. They made kitchen cabinets. Were noted for making the "Hoosier" Kitchen cabinets.

The address they lived was: 801 South 18th street and the phone number was 540J.

I could not find an obituary for Mary in the Elwood Paper.

Posted by: Linda Ead

January 3, 2013 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Gray

Linda

Thank you very much for the reply, it filled in a number of gaps. Elijah Baker mentioned in the obituary was my wife's great grandfather who died in Neath, South Wales in 1950 and was also a tinplate worker. From the details you have provided and those in the obituary I think I have found the resting places for some of the other members of the family. I think Mary Ann Walters moved back to Elwood from Muncie and died in 1991, Elizabeth Baker died unmarried in 1991, Howard Baker died 1996 and Lillian Baker died unmarried in 2003, all in Elwood. With the death of Lillian I think that the Baker link with Elwood comes to an end. Frederick Baker (dentist) had two children and died in 1977 in Lee, Florida and Joseph Baker (undertaker) had 3 children and died in 1975 in Middletown, Ohio.

Thank you again for your help,

Stephen Gray

January 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.