Elwood Pipecreek Genealogy Society

Preserving the Past for Our Future ......

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Geo W Smith - Photographer

Mike Thomas

My great uncle Alfred Thomas moved from Monmouth, Wales (then in England) to Elwood at the end of the 19thC.   I have two photographs of him and his wife taken a few years apart.  The photographic studio was the above Geo W Smith.   I wondered whether anybody might have come across this studio and / or know where it was located in Elwood.   I would be happy to provide copies of the two photographs for this site.  I would also be interested if anybody can tell me the dates of the appropriate census that I might access as I currently have no further information about Alfred and his wife. 

September 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

genealogysocietyelwoodindiana
Site Owner

George:question:  Do you have access to ancestry.com?? If so you can find some information on there about Alfred.   I found him in the 1900 census for Elwood, Madison County Indiana living with an uncle: Joseph Ashman.

He was married to Margaret Maude James in Madison County Indiana on May 15, 1901.  He is listed in the city directory for Elwood in 1906-1907 as working at the Tin Plate and living at 1535 South K Street, Elwood, Madison County Indiana.  He is not listed in the 1916 city directory for Elwood. (this is the next city directory our local library has.      There is more information on him and Margaret on Ancestry. If you don't have access to Ancestory, email me at [email protected] and put Alfred Thomas in the subject line and I will send you what I found on Ancestry.   I haven found out anything, yet, on the photography studio. I am still working on that.   Linda Ead

October 5, 2012 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.